Come walk with us through a living history book.
The Evergreen Plantation tour is an outstanding representation of the plantation culture in Louisiana. Based on 500 pages of documentation, a public archeology project funded by a grant from the Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities and ongoing research in oral history and cultural landscape, Evergreen sets new standards in cultural tourism.
Plantations were complicated agricultural enterprises encompassing many facets of existence. At Evergreen, the tour highlights 250 years of family ownership, the architectural significance of the buildings, and its reliance on agriculture. Emphasis is placed on the plantation’s dependence on slave labor and later the labor of freed African-Americans that was necessary to operate such an enterprise.
We take the interpretation of this site very seriously and strive to do justice to its history.
ADMISSION AND TIMES
This is an hour and a half walking tour that includes both the main house and slave quarters.
- Open Monday through Saturday
- Evergreen is closed on Sunday
- Tours are at 9:30 am, 11:30 am and 2:00 pm.
- Gates are open from 8:30 a.m. until 2:15 p.m.
- Price: $20.00 per person - CASH OR CHECK ONLY
- Tours are $6.00 for children under 18.
- Children under 5 are FREE.
- We offer discounts for students, military, and seniors.
- Groups of 10 or more, please call for special times and discounted rates.
- Smaller groups and individuals do not need reservations.
4677 Hwy. 18
Edgard, LA 70049
HOLIDAY CLOSING DATES:
YES, WE ARE OPEN ON MEMORIAL DAY, MAY 27TH!
- Independence Day: July 4th
- Thanksgiving: November 28th
- (Reservations are required for Friday, November 29th)
- Christmas Eve & Christmas Day: December 24th and 25th
- (Reservations are required for the following dates: December 26th, 27th, 28th, & 30th)
- New Years' Eve: December 31st
- New Years' Day 2014: January 1st