Come walk with us through a living history book.
The Evergreen Plantation tour is an outstanding representation of the plantation culture in Louisiana. Based on 500 pages of documentation, a public archeology project funded by a grant from the Louisiana Endowment for the Humanities and ongoing research in oral history and cultural landscape, Evergreen sets new standards in cultural tourism.
Plantations were complicated agricultural enterprises encompassing many facets of existence. At Evergreen, the tour highlights 250 years of family ownership, the architectural significance of the buildings, and its reliance on agriculture. Emphasis is placed on the plantation’s dependence on slave labor and later the labor of freed African-Americans that was necessary to operate such an enterprise.
We take the interpretation of this site very seriously and strive to do justice to its history.
ADMISSION AND TIMES
This is an hour and a half walking tour that includes both the main house and slave quarters.
- Open Monday through Saturday
- Evergreen is closed on Sunday
- Tours are at 11:30 am and 2:00 pm.
- Gates are open from 10:30 a.m. until 2:15 p.m. (entrance gates close at 2:15p.m., 15 minutes following commencement of 2:00 p.m. tour).
- Price: $20.00 per person - CASH OR CHECK ONLY
- Tours are $6.00 for children under 18.
- Children under 5 are FREE.
- We offer discounts for students, military, and seniors.
- Groups of 10 or more, please call for special times and discounted rates.
- Smaller groups and individuals do not need reservations.
- Please note that visitors need to join a guided tour in order to view the plantation; self-guided tours are only available for the Visitors' Center.
4677 Hwy. 18
Edgard, LA 70049
HOLIDAY CLOSING DATES:
- Lundi Gras: Monday, February 27th
- Mardi Gras: Tuesday, February 28th
- Easter : Friday, April 14, Saturday April15, Sunday April 16
- Independence Day: Tuesday, July 4th
- Labor Day: Monday September 4th
- Thanksgiving: Thursday, November 24th
- Christmas: Saturday, December 24th through Monday December 26th.
- New Year's Eve: Saturday December 31th
- New Year's Day 2016: January 1st and Monday January 2nd